Definition of ‘flushgate’
Why is it important?
- Unsafe water is responsible for 1.2 million deaths each year.
- 6% of deaths in low-income countries are the result of unsafe water sources.
- 666 million (9% of the world) does not have access to an improved water source.
- 2.1 billion (29% of the world) do not have access to safe drinking water
Regardless of whether you live in a developed country or not, no one is completely protected from water issues and solutions. Being properly informed about the health concerns from impure water is crucial so that you can avoid any health risks. Bad water quality is not to be taken lightly as it can lead to a myriad of unpleasant health conditions.
Water is essential to allow the cycle of life. Ecosystems are at risk and billions of human lives depend on access to safe water. Having access to pure, clean and fresh drinking water is essential for every human being. While our bodies can definitely survive for weeks on end without any food, you only stay alive for a few days without the hydrating properties of water.
What We Do
Since 2015, this website increase awareness on water issues and solutions.
- We inform our readers about threats to the environment based on scientific facts, not driven by commercial or political interests.
- We keep reporting on efforts around the world taking a stand for future generations and the preservation of human life on earth.
Created after a major flushgate event in Montreal, this citizen-based web initiative has evolved from documenting sewage spills and wastewater leaks to extend more broadly to water issues in the world.
Donate Monthly Now!
Not funded or sponsored by any agency or organisation, donations are appreciated to cover expenses related to this website, write quality articles, curate content found online, extend our reach to our audiences and more.
Your generosity is appreciated. DONATE NOW!
About the founder
The founder is a record-breaking swimmer, certified scuba diving instructor, swimming coach and lifeguard who grew up surrounded by 3 oceans and infinite rivers and lakes. Involved in cleanup efforts and coral restoration projects, he’s seduced by the amazing underwater world.